Hi there friends! Welcome back to Doggo Bloggo. This week Lily and I are focusing on a DIY Scent toy. Lily loves her snacks! I wanted something new for her to be able to use her mind at the same time as getting her snacks so I found this easy DIY project. Below are the instructions and what you’ll need to make your own!
- 1-1.5 yards of fleece material in the color or colors of your choice
- Rubber Sink Mat 12″ x 15″ is a great size for a medium sized pup
- Scissors to cut fleece
- Cut fleece into about 1″ x 7″ strips. No need to stress if this is exact or not. Varying lengths and widths are fine as long as they are somewhat close. It can actually make it more fun and challenging for your pup when they are trying to find the treats.
Assemble the Mat
- Take a strip of fleece, push one end through a hole in the rubber mat and then push it through the next hole and tie strips with one knot.
- Take the next strip and push it through the second hole alongside the strip you already tied. Then push it through the third hole and tie it just like you did the first. continue this all the way across.
- Repeat on the second row of holes. When you have the first two rows done, take a new strip and put it through the first hole in the first row and push it through the first hole of the second row and tie a knot.
- Repeat all of this until the mat is complete. You can check your work and make sure you haven’t missed any spots if you flip it over and check the bottom.
Teach your Pup to use the Mat
- Introduce the mat to your pup. If they are inexperienced with using scent toys or games, start by putting the treats right on top where they see you put them there. As they get used to it you can start to hide the treats within the strips for a fun game
- Remember to not leave your dog unattended with the mat as the strips start to smell like the treats and they may accidentally try to eat them. When they are done, put up the mat when they are finished.
We hope you have a fantastic week. Stay Safe, Live, Love, and Pet all the animals!
Jess & Lily
Add a comment